Sweet and Sour “Chinaquiles”.
You can have Sweet and Sour “Chinaquiles” using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sweet and Sour “Chinaquiles”
- Prepare 1 lb of corn tortillas, cut in "pizza" eighths.
- You need 6 of roma tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dried garlic.
- It’s 2 tsp of dried onion.
- Prepare pinch of oregano.
- Prepare to taste of salt.
- Prepare to taste of pepper.
- You need 2 tbsp of sweet and sour sauce.
- It’s to taste of cheese (use a cheese that melts easily. We had Mexican Oaxaca cheese on hand, but mozzarella of Monterey Jack work well, too.
- Prepare to taste of sour cream.
- It’s as needed of vegetable oil for frying.
Sweet and Sour “Chinaquiles” instructions
- Lay out the tortilla wedges on a cloth to dry (for as long as possible, we had them drying since yesterday) Heat sufficient vegetable oil in a deep pan and fry the chips (in batches, if need be) until crispy and golden. Place them in a colander to discard excess oil..
- In a medium pot, place the tomatoes and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the skin bursts..
- In a food processor, add: olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, the sweet and sour sauce. Process until smooth, then add the tomatoes, one at a time, and puree. You should get a bright red sauce. Return to pot and simmer until it bubbles..
- To plate: heap some tortilla chips on a plate, cover with the cheese and drench in the sauce (which should be as hot as possible so it melts the cheese). Let it rest for a bit for the cheese to melt and the tortillas to absorb some of the sauce. Then, add the sour cream. Your Mexican/Chinese fusion Chinaquiles are ready!.
- NOTE: you can add some shredded chicken, or some cooked ground beef, or sliced onions, or pretty much anything your heart desires. It's quite a versatile dish!.