Sour Cream. Find Deals on Sourcream in Snack Food on Amazon. Pour the heavy cream into a jar. Sour cream (in North American English, Australian English and New Zealand English) or soured cream (British English) is a dairy product obtained by fermenting regular cream with certain kinds of lactic acid bacteria.
I use this recipe for my kids' birthdays, but it's a favorite for wedding cakes, too! This recipe can easily be doubled. Sour cream is similar to the French ingredient crème fraîche. You can have Sour Cream using 3 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sour Cream
- Prepare 1 cup of (8oz/240g) heavy whipping cream(36% fat content works best.
- It’s 2 teaspoon of lemon juice (or white vinegar).
- It’s 1/4 cup of (2oz/60g/60ml) milk.
Both are white dairy products made with bacteria that thicken the cream and give it a tangy flavor. The primary difference is that crème fraîche has more fat, which makes it suitable for high-heat cooking that would cause sour cream to curdle. Sour cream is a fermented dairy product that is created when lactic acid bacteria is introduced to cream, denaturing the whey proteins in the cream and thickening the liquid. Sour cream is exactly what it says it is (soured cream).
Sour Cream instructions
- Add all the ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Cover the jar with a piece of towel paper and wrap with an elastic band.
- Leave to settle for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours the mixture will separate so mix with a spoon and done! Your sour cream is ready.
The technique for making sour cream is similar to that of making other thickened dairy products, like buttermilk and yogurt. In fact, you can use buttermilk to make your sour cream! Sour cream is a rich, tangy condiment made from fermented cream. It contains several important nutrients, but because it's primarily a garnish, you don't get many nutrients in a single serving. Even Daisy Light Sour Cream has minimal ingredients that include cultured cream, skim milk, and vitamin A palmitate.